Monday, September 10, 2007

Recomend Posted Video "Good Lecture"

I want to make a recommendation to watch the video "Good Lecture" posted by Mike if i am correct. I have caught up with the readings and though a little dense this video makes a couple of interested points that may be of some help when trying to assimilate our readings. I posted a comment on the video about my concerns with the issues of the readings, it is not an attack on our process just a simple criticism about my concerns on how we will form some dialectics between our research and ultimately a thesis of architecture. Let me know what some people think, am i raging for nothing or should we be critical on how we move forward in the studio...

2 comments:

Mike Toste said...

I generally agree with you, however, I think there is a slippery slope when you begin to analyze architecture through "neural coding." In a sense, to me, what Dawkins is appealing to is a kind of shorthand that our conscious experience provides, which is important to consider as it relates to architecture, and in particular our experience of "space." Although "wall" or "floor" may "actually" be composed primarily of empty space, it is perception of solidity that is the immediate impression of the object. At the same time, I think that it is an important argument in favor of "phenomenal space" in that the Dawkin's emphasis, in my opinion, is on the construction of our world in our mind...the mind perceives things not necessarily as what they are, but as what they are implied to be by actual material conditions.

Mike Toste said...

more on this later...