Friday, September 21, 2007

Metaphor



I worked on sixth mirror displacement by Robert Smithson. I find intriguing the spacial conditions he creates by placing the reflection of the sky on the sand (ground), and the questions such conditions now pose: (Since the mirrors make the sky attainable), can I now walk on the sky? Can I lay on the Sky? What kind of light quality has such as space?

The movie I "Rope" by Alfred Hitchcock. Eventhough rope was shot on a limited space, the way it was shot does not make the audience aware of the confinement. What I found interesting of the film, was the displacemtne of the program of each space. The film set composed of all the traditional public spaces of a flat; dining room, living room, foyer, kitche, etc. yet none of the spaces are utilized by their program. With a few manouvers of objects, each space takes a new meaning.

I don't have a metaphor yet. Some of the words that come to mind are: morph, emergence and displacement. I feel these words can be found on my installation and film.
For my site I want to explore a place with a distict program. I am thinking a pedestrian overpass.

1 comment:

marc said...

you said..

"With a few manouvers of objects, each space takes a new meaning."

this is good...
the potential of objects switching meaning by their context and situation is good. forget about this morph and emergent stuff.dont hide behind fashionable arch jargon...what you are talking about is much stronger. what about the nature of the piece and why it is able to switch? i dont understand the overpass...