Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Possible Metaphors

There are three themes which I think can be explored further as metaphors in The Passenger and Robert Smithson's Mirror Displacements: The idea of identity and mirror reflections [the shot when Locke bends over the dead body of Robertson - the eerie similarity between the live Locke and dead Robertson -they are in different tenses of their existence (relate this back to the idea of horizon in Smithson's writings). Also considered is the theme in the end scene with the slow zoom in of the camera. Here I'd like to focus on what it means to switch from the "I" to the "me" in these few moments, and how both the camera and the setting/background enhance this transformation. The last and perhaps the weakest metaphor situation is the one where Locke sees death as bliss - blindness as bliss and release from this world and his ever running away from his past. More on all of this during the complete presentation of the movie.

4 comments:

marc said...

so noorah...can you clearly state one metaphor?

marc said...

you mentioned camera and tomb before...
blindness?

marc said...

if you can make charcoal drawings like that...you might focus in on light in darkness...b and w...

Noorah Al-Sabah said...

I think I can go after any one of these metaphors but I'd like to really observe my site first and then see which one comes forth as more suitable - I really am leaning towards the mirror image of Robertson and Locke- two tenses - and connecting that to Smithson's method with mirrors... I just have to form and clearly word it properly which I think I can do after my proper site visit/video