Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Inquiry. before thursday???

Dan and Marc- I need some feed back before 1 pm on thursday if you can, because i'll be leaving for Kutztown PA, to get some footage of my site for my film. I camped out there last summer on my bike tour to Chicago. I think direct relationships can be made to The Shining, Robert Smithso'ns idea that the "Earth is an Abyss," and Lackoff's container metaphor "A clearing in the woods." The site stands out from other densly wooded areas in that it is 'bounded' by a snapping turtle infested river, Which we had to cross with with all of our gear to camp the night. when darkness 'erased' the last bit of light, nothing could be done to get out. we were stuck there along with all sorts of preditors, criters, and poisionous insects, miles away from civilzation. You can read the entire account on my bike journal " Chicago Outlaw "

Im thinking of putting my self in that exact position, this time with a vid-camera in hopes my fears and emotions will affect my taking of the video. I'd like to play a little with the paradoxy of containing danger, and yet being contained from danger. I'm wondering what your thoughts are, and if you could bring anyting to my attention.

1 comment:

marc said...

we were hoping you would choose a site you could revisit frequently with ease. but i think this will be a good exercise. maybe you can also record something more local and have a dialogue. its up to you. dont make the blair withch project though. really work at recording these clearings...the earth ...the sky..the trees.