Tuesday, February 20, 2007

for those intervening in existing structures

Im fascinated with watching old buildings as they are demolished or decaying and I would recommend doing this for anyone intervening in existing structures. Its extremely revealing as to how buildings were constructed and how they have been altered. This is a photo of the Hackett builing, which is about two blocks from my site and dates to about the same era and currently being demolished.



This is a photograph of demolition on my site. The building being demolished was built in 1876 and the building I am intervening in was built, originally with the weird stair tower, between 1876 and 1890. Notice the window under the Cangro sign which was blocked by later construction.



Not about demolition per se, but here is a recent photo from my site that is relevant to some of the ideas in my project.

No comments: