Tuesday, February 20, 2007

building at full scale

Im going to start planning and building my full scale work almost immediately as I will be working on it as my semester project in Prof. Jenny Lee's welding class.

To return to the idea of the synaesthesia of physical sensations and memories, I see this happening particularly by using materials and construction details in each of the programs that recall the other programs. (i.e. a wood detail in the apartment could recall the nightclub) It wouldn't necessarily be a direct sort of reuse of a detail, but more likely, the suggestion of sensations and the memories of associated with them. For example, a detail in the apartment could join wood and steel in a way that reminds of the intense and sometimes jarring or uncomfortable experience of the nightclub.

That said, I have been thinking about building a piece of furniture for one of the three programs that is designed in regards to how the sensations of its details can recall the experience of the other program(s). Its detailing could also be a smaller scale expression of the larger architectural details of the project. It might be nice to look at the structural details of the building that one doesn't necessarily have direct bodily interaction with and then use them also at the scale of furniture. Much like the full scale detail from last semester, the furniture piece would also be drawn into the larger context of the project in order to place it in relation to the experience of the architecture around it. As a decision I'm not entirely ready to make at the moment, I think it would help to develop the dialog between the programs if I could build also a second piece of furniture. Ideally I would build three, but that feels a little unrealistic at this point. Maybe I can design three and then build at least one or two of them.

1 comment:

marc said...

ok...sounds good