Friday, October 20, 2006

I was on campus today and noticed the scaffolding on my sketch project site has been taken down. I would like to go back and insert my intervention into the newly photographed site.

I am continuing to look at the idea of ritual and space; particularly how a memory remains as the physical and spiritual decay over time. To develop my understanding of the condition of the modern ruin I am analyzing a typological study of ruined Industrial structures. I am interested in the translation of this typology in both meaning and form. How can I take the memory of an industrial past and re-integrate it in into the present. How does the space of the fragmented ruin manifest itself, and how does it relate to the body, and its practices? I am also going to try to photograph some of these industrial spaces.



1 comment:

Dan Bucsescu said...

Mathew:

check this out...this addresses your question !!!

Dan


From The MIT Press Classics Series:
A Concrete Atlantis
US Industrial Building and European Modern Architecture
Reyner Banham

Table of Contents and Sample Chapters

"Let us listen to the counsels of American engineers. But let us beware of American architects!" declared Le Corbusier, who like other European architects of his time believed that he saw in the work of American industrial builders a model of the way architecture should develop. It was a vision of an ideal world, a "concrete Atlantis" made up of daylight factories and grain elevators.

In a book that suggests how good Modern was before it went wrong, Reyner Banham details the European discovery of this concrete Atlantis and examines a number of striking architectural instances where aspects of the International Style are anticipated by US industrial buildings.