Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I have been thinking a lot about Bachelard where he states, “Through dreams the various dwelling places in our lives co-penetrate and retain the treasures of former days.” I am interested in a particular experience of architecture/landscape in which perception of a space is colored by the recollection of other spaces, created an extended ground of memory. Possibly, this could relate to another idea I have about the experience of seemingly separate spaces that “push” against each other. Considering two spaces, challenging each other for influence, the occupant can directly understand the space he or she is in, but also has an understanding of an extended space, including the second space, which is conceived by the play between occupying the first space, feeling the push of the second space, and then imagining the quality of the second space through the extended ground of memory. The idea of one space pushing against the other relates to sketch problem in which the occupant of the “sanctuary” could understand the space of the courtyard by the sounds that transcend the physical barrier I proposed between the two.
A year or two ago I found a new recording entitled “Chants, Hymns, Dances” which is an album of improvisations on the music of Gurdjieff (an Armenian ‘mystic’ of questionable legitimacy who had his followers dance as a sort of meditation) for piano (Vassilis Tsabropoulos) and cello (Anja Lechner). Regardless of Gurdjieff’s intentions, the modern improvisations are gorgeous pieces of music, but the real point is that the album was recorded with technical perfection in a church in Germany, and when I listen to it on a good stereo, I can hear the space of the church. That is to say, by hearing the way the music reverberates in the space I have an understanding of the church that is constructed from memories of spaces with similar acoustic qualities.

So for self-assignment:

1. Finish my documentation of the detail. As I am currently drawing out the detail, it is starting to take on a more developed intention than when I first built it. In parallel to drawing, I am going to write a narrative for it, which parallels occupying the space and simultaneous thinking of another space, in a sense blending the two together. The drawing is starting to get at this too.

2. The next drawing I want to work on takes my photographic project, the one I showed in the presentation, “April is the cruelest month,” and map the narrative of the photographs into a larger landscape. (All the photographs were taken on the same day within several hours of each other.) I then want to take my documented narrative of the Brion Cemetery, my photographs and sketches, and map them into a landscape, and then investigate a way, through drawing, two merge the two in parallel to create a map of a “new landscape.”

3. Take a stab at sitting down and writing a precis.

4. Begin to consider site and program. As I think about it more, I see myself choosing two seemingly oppositional programs and merging them to see how they push against each other.

3 comments:

bjones said...

Alex -

I know you are reading poetics of space... in the first couple of chapters where Bachelard talks about spaces that "push" as you say, i couldn't help but wanting to draw a "walk" through my house. As he says, our home is basically the core of our dreaming, and where many of our rooted memories stem from. I'm not sure if it is relevant, but maybe try "walking" through your childhood home in your sketchbook (even if it is only for 5 mins), and draw only what comes to mind, even if it is totally illogical. I would think that just by "walking" (by walking i mean drawing this in your sketchbook) up your front steps, events from your past would shape what "walking up your front steps" means to you. As i said, it may not be relevant, but at the same time, i believe it is, it is the most loaded space for you, as well as the most personal. I think by doing only a 5 min exercise for yourself even if you don't show it to anybody, may get you thinking about how memory comes into play. How it is triggered, and what it triggers.

Alex Gryger said...

brian,
I think that's actually a really good idea...I think I will do that

marc said...

this is a great start alex...
thanks for writing the assignment clearly as you were asked to do...