Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I have been researching painting, the philosophy of painting. Specifically I have looked at a book on Francis Bacon by Gilles Deleuze, which I chose because of the definition that is given to a 'mirror', "Bacon's Mirror." It is beyond its reflective qualities and talks about it as a space where the "body and its shadow" enter to become disfigured, and then reconfigure to become the Figure. The term figure does not refer to the object, but rather to the idea, conceptual idea. In this book I found links to Cezanne. Cezanne had a way of painting that took objects in the foreground and blended them with objects in the backround, what he termed "repoussior," which means something that pushes back. I understand this idea in terms of the way a mirror can operate, how something away or not in immediate view can be brought in to the scene, not as an object, but as a space, and not as a complete, but as a fragment of something else. Diego Velasquez's painting, Las Meninas was a strong example of how two spaces or more can oscillate about each other, the invisible can become visible by another means.


In all of these paintings I see a strong idea, and that is 'paint the sensation.'

I have started a drawing using the first 3-week exercise as a basis to demonstrate this idea of sensations in painting. I also am incorpating the mirror, and its reflections, and transformations within it. It will be of a different nature than the built form. I am thinking of putting this into performative techniques.

1 comment:

Alex Gryger said...

this is more of a random thought relating mostly to synaesthesia generated by the misreading of something you wrote, "In all of these paintings I see a strong idea, and that is 'paint the sensation." I read the first time, "paint is the sensation," which kind of got me thinking what if you could paint a scene with say taste instead of paint. There was a large piece at a Mimimalism exhibition at the guggenheim awhile back that was a sort of topographical relief made entirely of shellaced dead flies. It smelled like death and you could almost feel them crawling all over you...