Thursday, January 18, 2007

Schedule until Feb 5

For Mon 22
1. Access substation and take footage with a better camera than last time.
(My dealings with the Newark building department have ended with a letter saying that the topic of my request is “too sensitive” to gain access to, so film will be my primary means of site documentation. I believe this will actually be better because it will be a way of “creating” the site through selected documentation)
2. Visit Grand Central Station and (if I time) a theater
3. Record multiple walks through each building
4. Stitch an imaginary “jointed” itinerary of substation, terminal, theater cinematographically (This can be a work that can be continuously added to, so If I do not have the time to visit both a terminal and a theater I can always insert footage at a later time…)
5. Begin quick sketches of existing site and diagrams of intervention

For Thurs Jan 25
1. Begin sketching plans and sections of existing substation and its relation to site.
2. Begin laying out unraveling circuit drawing of stitched itinerary.
3. The drawing will be used to name spaces and key elements (which I have named spatial pins – for example, the screeching fan I’ve previously described) in order to describe them phenomenologically. This will be a revisiting of my previous method of drawing with a few (hopefully better) changes.
4. Continue diagrams of intervention


For Mon Jan 29
5. Begin sketching and building unraveling circuit model (The model will be a joint much like the first year joint studies. Only one piece will be able to be removed at a time, dictating a specific sequence of moves. Each piece will be a sectional cut through a space along the stitched itinerary (containing intervention) that one will be able to look into as if looking into a perspective sectional drawing. For example, a 3” x 3” x 6” piece may have a rectangular void that is 1” x 1” x 6”, this could be a hallway for instance (more detailed of course). Through the removal of pieces in the unraveling circuit model one is able to “walk” along a selected itinerary/circuit. It will be a sketch model made of chipboard most likely. This will be an investigation into a method of representing a circuit. A later model can make use of nicer (and differing) materials as a way of conveying the sensorial attributes of specific spaces.

For Thurs Feb 1
1. Continue unraveling circuit model

For Mon Feb 5
1. cinematographically stitched itinerary complete
2. unraveling circuit drawing(s) complete
3. unraveling circuit model complete

My question is whether I should invest the time into the joint model now or later. If I do the joint now, I can see more time being spent in building rather than developing the program to the extent that it could be developed in a regular model. I guess I am just wondering what is more important/expected for Feb 5, a solid programmatic technique or a solid program? I’m not saying it will be one or the other, just more emphasis put on one than the other. I guess this is something we can talk about next class though…

No comments: