Friday, February 08, 2008

archigram anyone ?

So I was fortunate to have gone to the Archigram's Dennis Crompton lecture yesterday afternoon. I'd like to share some of my thoughts.

For starters, I really enjoyed it! I did not know very much about ArchiGram. The little information I did know was not enough to create a solid, unforgettable image.

Dennis began the lecture with the story of his childhood in Blackpool England. Here he described part of the context of Archigram. He talked about being an ordinary boy who lived in a seemingly ordinary world. As a teenager who did not leave home much, there was not a need to question the obvious. It just was!

Like a photograph that becomes exposed to light, Blackpool's fantastic image became clear to him. The ordinary suddenly became extraordinary.

Instant city is a project that questions our tendencies to passively accept the obvious. It is absurd simply because it is unfamiliar. It is idealistic, unrealistic, and completely science fiction; all this true, it is entertaining. The proposal's temporary fantasy makes apparent Blackpool and the world's permanent one.

just curious how others have reacted?

No comments: