Friday, December 01, 2006

Memory, Ritual, and the Body in Death

As I continue to work on my book, I have scheduled an interview with an owner/operator of a funeral parlor and crematorium. I am currently preparing a list of questions regarding the different aspects of the process. I am planning to speak with a local church about their funeral rituals and will attempt to document a funeral. I have also emailed the NYC Department of Corrections in order to gain access to Hart Island. I have yet to hear back from them and plan to see if there is a better person to contact. I am continuing to search for other potential sites if I am unable to visit the island in a timely manner. As for developing a performative technique, I have found myself mired in my examinations of industrial typologies and scaffolding. Therefore, I have begun to look at my program and potential site to help drive my process. For my current drawing, I am looking at a cemetery and documenting it through the layering of information. This will eventually tie in with my planned funeral documentations.

1 comment:

d said...

http://islam.about.com/cs/elderly/a/funerals.htm
I FOUND THIS LINK, IT TALKS ABOUT THE BODY AND ITS' PREPERATION JUST BEFORE THE BURIAL FOR MUSLIMS, IT IS SIMPLY TOLD, BUT I THINK TOUCHES INTERESTING THINGS. THE WASHING OF THE BODY, THE SPACES FOR THE PRAYERS, THE SILENT PRAYER, THE COFFIN AND THE POSITIONING OF THE BODY TOWARDS MECCA AND SO ON.. ALSO, THE WAY WOMEN AND MEN PRAY ARE DIFFERENT INTERMS OF THEIR BODY MOVEMENTS, OR THE SPACES THEY OCCUPY..