Thursday, December 07, 2006


Circuit drawing of the 5th floor of the substation


Wiring diagram of a Honda VF100F

So this is the beginning of the circuit drawing... It is still in a very early stage, but I wanted to post to show the direction I am going in. I spliced a few movies of the substation into one larger one that establishes a specific itinerary through the 5th floor. I will show this movie on Sunday. For the circuit drawing, I isolated stills from the movie and began to identify specific moments through the itinerary. In all of the wiring diagrams that I've come across, similar elements are grouped (lights, fuses, etc. all collect into one portion of the drawing). This grouping could be useful in a mapping of experience through space because although the many experiences are similar, they are obviously never the same experience (or if it is the same experience it occurs at a different time and thus is not the same exact experience). Through grouping, specific events, like opening a door for example, can be compared and contrasted.
If the opening of all of the doors are contrasted, senses that are crucial to that experience will come to the foreground. For example, a door that squeaks and opens into a large light space as opposed to a double door that slams and opens into a dim hallway while a screeching fan is heard in the background.

Sorry if this is fragmented, just trying to put the ideas out there quick while in the middle of drawing.

This is a first step, I have not yet incorporated the idea of "switching" which I plan to get into. Also, through drawing, I see myself possibly establishing a language of symbols that could possibly take the place of images in later drawings.
I have begun to add adjectives, nouns, and the senses they are associated with. Th e crossing may be done syntactically in the drawing. I am looking at each isolated noun/object as a character, each with the senses associated with it. Out of the lets say 12 doors, one is associated with the bright outside, sways freely in the wind, and slams against the walls from time to time. Another door leads into complete darkness and slams as well. I am looking at this slam as a connection between the two things. I have begun to do this in the drawing if you look closely. The doors are only an easy example, there will be many more situations similar to this.

I am keeping Paul Klee and his ideas of line in the back of my mind because these drawings are obviously all about lines. I see Klee becoming more influential once I establish/develop this as a performative technique.

For Sunday:
1. I plan to have this drawing done and possibly another if it is necessary.
2. I would like to either do a drawing or a model from memory of the entire substation. I see this being a grouping of fragments (going back to Scarpa) because certain spaces stick out in my mind more than others, and since the building contains many similar spaces, some may simply be rendered solid/poche.

No comments: