Thursday, March 29, 2007

midterm response

I think what I need to work on right now is looking into the scale of a few crucial moments. I need to start zooming in and work out exactly how each piece of installations enhances the space, and not the other way around. I am planning to work on perspective drawings for now. I also should work on the positioning of the walls; how can they better act as sound buffers/ insulations. These walls are also acting as linkages between the “pavilions”. I definitely have to look further into the kind of tensile or ‘hung’ structure I mentioned, and of course the type of materials. The decision on the structure and materials will definitely help clarify the characters, also experiences, of the space.

Overall the comments were helpful. However, when Michael mentioned the part about ‘selective seeing’ as a form of blindness, that certainly shifted my attention. I agree that it might have made a stronger thesis, but then my project would totally be about the one sense; the sense of seeing. And is this idea really “stronger than merely bringing other senses to light”?.

2 comments:

chrispayan said...

Well in my understanding of Michael Eng's comment, "than just merely bringing other senses to light," meant to say, that right now, you are strongly emphasizing INDIVIDUAL senses, one at a time. As opposed to actually crossing them. I think that is a difficulty alot of us are facing. The synaesthesia is not really happening. In terms of 'seeing is a form of blindness," I think you still have opportunity to incorporate the idea into your project. I mean you are making a museum for the blind, that is saying something about museums for people who can see. That maybe seeing is the problem. Our eyes deceive us. In exploring this critique of vision, it will force you to make us aware of our other senses, and at times crossing them. Maybe something to still consider.

Alex Gryger said...

In a discussion with Theo back at the beginning to the semester, he told me that in greek, synaesthesia essentially means "multiple feelings at the same time," which supports the argument that synaesthesia is potentially more common than thought to be.