Friday, September 29, 2006

For my research topic, and as an addition to the sketch problem, I would like to investigate Scarpa’s use of water in his projects. Many of Scarpa’s project use water as an organizing/ compositional element, and/or a symbolic gesture. The garden of the Querini-Stampalia Foundation and The Brion Tomb are a couple examples where water and nature serve a specific purpose.


I think it’s important to examine not only Scarpa’s use of water and nature but other artists. Therefore as an aside, I would like to research various artists’ representations of nature and whether their work is created by a synasthetic experience. A few artists that come to mind from the impressionistic period and post-impressionistic period include Edvard Munch, Paul Cezanne, Vincent Van Gogh and Claude Monet.

3 comments:

marc said...

i think you should start diagramming the scarpa projects...make a drawing to associate them...
read the text...

marc said...

i think you should look closely into robert smithson...

Alex Gryger said...

Maybe I'm straying from your original intentions, but considering water, it may be helpful for you to see the screening of Rivers and Tides, mentioned earlier on the blog. As an artist, Goldsworthy has done a number of projects where he builds sculptural installations in sites that are directly affected by water and then documents the process of flowing water, waves, and rising tides slowly dismantling the installation. Arguably, these projects are more about how water dismantles the sculpture rather than the actual sculpture itself. It calls into question time and permanence. Though the time element does have a certain relation to Scarpa, being that the condition at Querini Stamplagia changes in tune with the tides in the canal and something I can't ever say I've seen published is that the narrow channel of water in Brion has a sloped bottom so that the flow of water changes speed along its length. At the end of the channel near the meditation pavillion I could stick my hand in maybe up to my wrist. At the other end of the channel near the arcosoleum, I put most of my arm in before i could touch the bottom of the channel.